This web page contains resources and links that may be of use to staff working in Care Homes in the NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde area.
Please note that not all resources are in use in all areas at all times – refer to local policies, practices and procedures.
Scottish Palliative Care Guidelines
The Scottish Palliative Care Guidelines reflect a consensus of opinion about good practice in the management of adult patients with life limiting illness. They are designed for healthcare professionals from any care setting who are involved in supporting people with a palliative life-limiting condition.
End of Life Care
End of Life Care webpage includes GAEL ‘Guidance At End of Life’ document and related resources.
Community Pharmacy includes ‘Just in Case’ documents Kardex information (linked below) and many other resources.
Just in Case documents
- The use of dose ranges with the Palliative Care Kardex in Primary Care PDF 34 KB
- Palliative Care Synonyms (Updated April 2016) PDF 31 B
- Box Label – November 2010 PDF 68 KB
- Box Leaflet – A guide for patients & carers (updated November 2013) PDF 336 KB
- JIC Core Contents list (updated Oct 2013) PDF 76 KB
- JIC flowsheet (updated Oct 2013) PDF 127 KB
- JIC general info (updated July 2015) PDF 123 KB
- Just in case FAQs info (updated Oct 2012) PDF 112 KB
Community Palliative Care Kardex
- Guidance for use of the Community Palliative Care Kardex (Updated June 2016) PDF 2 MB
- Primary Care Palliative Care Kardex Awareness Presentation May 2016 PDF 2.4 MB
Guidelines / Tools
- Pain Assessment for Patients Unable to Self Report Pain ABBEY PAIN SCALE PDF 148 KB(StaffNet only)
NHSGGC Acute Services Division
- SIGN 106 Control of pain in adults with cancer
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network by Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Supportive & Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT™)
The SPICT™ is a guide to identifying people whose health is deteriorating from one or more advanced illnesses – these are people who are ‘sick enough’ to be at risk of deteriorating and dying with these conditions.
Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) policies and related resources were updated in August 2016. Further information can be found on the DNACPR section of this website.
- KIS guidance for palliative care (EMIS) Word 48 KB
- Key Points KIS (EMIS) Word 76 KB
- KIS Screenshots EMIS Power Point 596 KB
- “Quick Guide” – Attaching an ePCS report (electronic palliative care summary) to a SCI Gateway Referral PDF 567 KB
- EMIS PCS Scotland: Recording ePCS information – Training Handout PDF 314 KB
Verification of Expected Death
- Policy and Procedure for the Management of Verification of Expected Death by Registered Nurses Working in the Community NHSGGC (Updated August 2016) Word 187 KB
- VOED Training
Out of Hours